Thursday, August 28, 2008

Trip to Zion




My husband and I left early Friday morning. Our goal was the opening reception of the "A Century of Sanctuary: The Art of Zion National Park" down at the St. George Art Museum where I had a papercut on display. This was my first juried art show, and there was no way that I was going to miss it. We left early so that we could easily meander and stop along the way before the opening started. That's the way we like to travel.
     The first place we stopped was the antique shop in Scipio. John has a hard time passing up antique shops, and he wanted to drop off some of his M0tortales books off. John told the owner that we were traveling through to St. George for the art show, and the owner curious about what papercuts are, asked to see one. I had happened to throw my binder of papercuts in the car before we left home, so I was able to show some to the owner and his wife. They were impressed and asked if they could buy one. You bet! This is the second time I have sold any.
    
   After that, we slowly made our way down south, stopping in Cedar City and Zion National Park. Look out for the gas pumps in Cedar City. We had problems with them twice on our trip.
    We finally made it to the St. George Art Museum shortly after the reception started. I was excited to be the one wear the name tag with "artist" on it this time instead of my husband. The museum was beautiful and complemented the wonderful art work along the walls. I finally found mine. I still don't know how I made it into this show filled with paintings done by professional artists. I think I might have been the only amateur there. I sure felt out classed. I enjoyed looking at the modern and historical art there. I wish that my grandfather, 
Calvin Fletcher, had been represented with the historical paintings. That would have added an extra nice touch in my mind. About half way through the reception came the speeches and presentation of the awards. The mayor of St. George and the Deputy Director of the National Park Service gave some of the speeches. The presentation went on for almost an hour. My legs got tired because we had to stand through the whole thing. I didn't win an award or purchase prize, but I got my name up on the wall. The whole thing was a new experience for me.
   We went back to Zion the next day. 
                                                                              

                                                            

No comments: