Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I Shear Sheep

Okay, I didn't shear them, But I did cut them from a piece of brown paper. There are some papercutters out there in the wide world who cut their art with sheep shears. I am in awe of them. I was looking at a painting that my grandfather painted of some sheep grazing in the red rocks of Southern Utah the other week, and I challenged myself to create a papercut based on that painting. Here is the result. Overall, I am liking it. Some of the rocks leave me scratching my head. Rocks can be hard to cut and still have them look like rocks. I like how the sheep blend into their surroundings and make you really look for them. I may not be the artist my grandfather was, but I like tho think I am getting better. I wish I could have taken some lessons from him.

No comments: