Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I Wish Spring Was Really Here

After a mild winter, spring has been taking a turn for the worst. The past week has felt more like January. We received over a foot and a half of snow in the last week, and the wind yesterday was cold enough to drive me back indoors for another three months. I have been yearning for flowers and a warm breeze. My yearnings led me to create this cut of hollyhocks. Hollyhocks are some of my favorite flowers. I cut the black outline from black paper and painted the paper underneath. I only glued the very top of the paper cut to the background paper so that it would hang loosely over the watercolor and give it a slight three dimensional feel.

3 comments:

daysease said...

turned out beautifully!!! yes, Need spring. Ours seems to finally be arriving. yippee!!!

Harmony said...

Beautiful! I like hollyhocks too. We lived for a year on a street called Hollyhock Court. There were hollyhocks in the backyard flowerbeds, but they attracted too many bees for my kids to enjoy playing near them. I am ready for spring too!

Snippety Gibbet said...

I thought about you while we were in Utah! I told the folks about your Zion book too. So very cool! I love your state!